Get Ready for Jump Start
Post by Katrina Zhao, second year Psychology student and Vantage College alumni
Jump Start is right around the corner and a very exciting time to look forward to! Starting on August 25, it is a 10-day orientation program for first-year international students where you will be participating in many academic and social events. It's a great way to make friends, especially when you are new to UBC. The length of the program also gives you enough time to get yourself comfortable around campus, and prepare you for the academic year.
In addition to having fun and learning valuable information, the orientation also includes useful workshops which are prepared to help you fully adjust to Vancouver, such as applying for provincial insurance, getting a phone, and setting up bank accounts. Your Jump Start leaders. who consist of both international and domestic students, are great resources for you to ask any questions and share any concerns. You’ll get to know them well, and will likely be a great mentor for you throughout the program!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will there be an airport pickup service before Jump Start?
Yes! You can register for airport pickup on August 25 here.
2. Is Jump Start mandatory for Vantage students?
Yes. All Vantage Students must attend Jump Start. If you can not attend or have to delay your arrival due to unexpected emergencies, please let us know as soon as possible by contacting us directly.
3. Am I assigned into Vantage College specific orientation groups?
No. You are assigned based on your faculty, which will help you make more connections and friends at UBC beyond Vantage College,
4. Will there be any Vantage specific events?
Yes. We have planned events for Vantage College students to provide you with opportunities to familiarize yourself with your future academic setting and help you to get to know your classmates.
5. I am a Applied Science/Management student, should I still be attending UBC Vancouver’s Jump Start?
Yes. As you will still be spending their first year at the UBC Vancouver campus, Jump Start can help you adapt to Vancouver, and also build connections with your fellow classmates.
6. I am a Vantage One student. Do I need to register and pay for Jumpstart?
As a Vantage One student:
- If you are living in on-campus housing, you will not be required to register and the cost of Jump Start will be included in your housing fees.
- If you will not be living in on-campus housing, you will need to register and pay for the program yourself.
7. How does Jump Start work? Who do I report to on August 25?
You will be assigned in groups based on your faculty, and a Jumpstart leader will be assigned to you. On each day of Jumpstart you will meet your leader at the assigned places. You will find out your assignments, squad number, and leaders name at future Jumpstart emails.
8. What does a typical day at Jump Start looks like?
You can get an idea of what your schedule at Jump Start will be like here.