Get Ready for Jump Start
Jump Start is right around the corner and it’s a very exciting time to look forward to! Starting on August 25, it is a 7-day orientation program for first-year students where you will be participating in many academic and social events. It's a great way to make friends, introduce you to your faculty and get to know campus. The length of the program also gives you enough time to get yourself settled before the first day of classes and set you up for success for the academic year ahead.
In addition to having fun and learning valuable information, the orientation also includes useful workshops which are designed to help you fully adjust to Vancouver, such as getting a phone and setting up bank accounts. Your Jump Start leaders, who consist of both international and domestic students, are great resources for you to ask any questions and share any concerns. You’ll get to know them well, and will likely be a great mentor for you throughout the program!
If you want to read more about why you should attend Jump Start read this blog written by UBCfyi.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will there be an airport pickup service before Jump Start?
Yes! An airport shuttle will be available from 12:30 PM- 4:30 PM. Sign up here to let us know that you will be taking the shuttle from the Vancouver International Airport to UBC! https://ubc.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_01HI4Zt9bYwUtOB
2. Is Jump Start mandatory for Vantage students?
All Vantage Students are highly encouraged to attend Jump Start. If you can not attend or have to delay your arrival due to unexpected emergencies, please let us know as soon as possible by contacting us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org .
3. Am I assigned into Vantage College specific orientation groups?
No. You are assigned based on your faculty. Jump Start is a great way to help you make more connections and friends at UBC beyond Vantage College.
4. Will there be any Vantage specific events?
Most of the learning community activities are Faculty Based. However there will be a Vantage Specific advising workshop since Vantage College has their own advisors.
5. I am a Applied Science/Management student, should I still be attending UBC Vancouver’s Jump Start?
Yes. As you will still be spending your first year at the UBC Vancouver campus, Jump Start can help you adapt to Vancouver, and also build connections with your fellow classmates.
6. Do I need to register and pay for Jumpstart?
You are eligible to register for Jump Start once you have accepted your admissions offer to UBC. For Vantage College Students:
- If you plan to live in UBC residence, when you register for on-campus housing before your arrival, you are automatically registered for Jump Start too as the cost is included in your housing fee.
- If you plan to live off campus, you should register for Jump Start as soon as possible and pay your deposit ($75 CAD + tax, non-refundable)
Registration for Jump start closes 11:59 PM PDT on July 5th.
7. How does Jump Start work? Who do I report to on August 25?
You will be assigned in groups based on your faculty, and a Jump Start leader will be assigned to you. On each day of Jump Start you will meet your leader at the assigned places. You will find out about your squad leader and squad name in a future email once you have signed up for Jump Start.
8. What does a typical day at Jump Start looks like?
You can get an idea of what your schedule at Jump Start will be like here.
9. What if I cannot attend Jump Start?
If you are unable to attend Jump Start, your orientation will begin at Imagine UBC (September 4, 2018). Expect to receive an email with details in late August.