Get Your Study Permit

As an international student, you will need a valid post-secondary study permit to attend UBC Vantage College. Obtaining a permit might take several months, so we encourage you to submit your application as soon as you accept your offer. You'll want to be on campus by August 20, 2017 to take full advantage of your orientation.

Begin your application online at

If you live in or have visited certain countries, you may be required to pass a medical examination or provide criminal record checks before a study permit can be issued. Depending on your country of citizenship, you may also be required to provide biometric information (fingerprints and photos) at your local visa application centre (VAC). If you do not have access to the online application for any reason, you will need to submit a paper application to your regional visa office. Please note that if you are required to submit biometric information, you may only submit your application online or in person at the VAC, and not by mail.

Under 19 years old?

If you are under 17 years of age, you are required to have a custodian in order to study in Canada. If you are 17 or 18 years old, this requirement may be waived at the discretion of your visa officer. Please note that the need for a custodian might add several weeks to the permit process.

If you are unable to find a custodian, you may contact: First Choice International +1.604.984.0868

Already studying in Canada?

If you are already attending high school in Canada on a study permit, please note that this permit does not allow you to study at the university level. You must renew and change the conditions on your permit in order to attend UBC Vantage College.

If you are currently visiting Canada and studying English without a permit, you must obtain a study permit before starting your first term at UBC Vantage College. You can submit your application to the visa office that serves your country of citizenship (outside Canada), or you can apply by mail to the visa office in Los Angeles, California.


When you apply for a study permit, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) may require you to provide the following documents or others:

  • Letter of admission from UBC Vantage College
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of financial and social ties to your home country
  • Passport
  • Custodianship form
  • Medical examination report
  • Temporary resident visa
  • Two photos that meet CIC specifications

Learn more about study permits and visas

Talk to an advisor


Once you've applied for a study permit, take steps to set yourself up for success.