Studying in Canada

The United Nations consistently ranks Canada as one of the best places in the world to live. Our dynamic communities are safe, friendly and culturally diverse, welcoming people from around the world to live, study and work in a society that values human rights, equality, stability and peace. Canada's commitment to education and high academic standards ensures that you will receive an affordable high-quality education and earn a globally recognized degree at UBC.

Working in Canada Options

Working While Studying

Although a UBC education is demanding, you may choose to work while earning your degree to gain valuable career-related experience and help offset expenses. Take advantage of the Work Learn program to access job opportunities on campus, or explore co-op placements and internships offered through your degree program. Your study permit allows you to work on campus, and effective June 1, 2014, Citizenship and Immigration Canada no longer requires study permit holders to apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit

Apply for a SIN Number

As a student enrolled in full-time studies at the University of British Columbia, you are eligible to work in Canada. You will need to register for a Social Insurance Number: more information available at

Work On and Off Campus

As a full-time UBC student with a valid study permit, you will be:

  • Eligible to work on and off campus without a work permit;
  • Allowed to work on and off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks;
  • Welcome to have your spouse or common-law partner also apply for a work permit.

More information available at

Stay and Work in Canada After Graduation From UBC

After successful graduation from UBC, you can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP). A Post-Graduation Work Permit may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. More information is available at

If you are interested in staying and working in Canada on a more long-term basis you can apply for a number of programs, each with its own requirements. These programs include:

Other Useful Information The official Government of Canada website for information on federal and provincial scholarships.


Visit UBC Student Services online to get up-to-date information regarding study permits, work opportunities and health facts:

Be admitted to the Vantage One program with TOEFL 5.5, IELTS 70.